Re: [microsound] summer book lists?

Murray;

My recommendation is to pick up the Collected Non-Fictions on Penguin. It's a great compendium of his film reviews, general reports, history, et cetera.

I did read Brodie's Report as well. I enjoyed it. I actually used a story that he wrote, an apocryphal story of Abel forgiving Cain, as an intellectual exercise in one of my classes. It worked out quite well.

Considering how well-read most of the microsound listers are, I figure Borges should be a natural for the folks there. I have a deep love for theology, surrealism and history, as well as music, so Borges seems to be a perfect writer, although I have to admit that he didn't sink in for me until the third reading of some of his works...

Best,

Rudy

murray wrote:

Rudy,

I must admit that I didn't really know about his non-fictions untill now.
I've had a quick look on the web and they sound very interesting,
particularly his film criticism. Let me know more if you wish.

I got a great book out of my local library which was quite a large,
collected chunk of his output in one book. I read the Aleph and quite a few
others which I enjoyed. I found I needed a break though. I love his writing
syle and, though I don't yet know a lot about the way Borges worked, the way
he retold stories is absolutely amazing. The problem I found was that after
2 or 3 books worth it seemed a bit flat, all played out one level. This
seems counterintuitive to the mazes and labyrinths, the works are clever and
rich, but I think I need to come back to him again after a while. Also I was
clocking up fines and my girlfriend wasn't happy that I still hadn't started
reading the Sarte books she bought me for my birthday last year (lack of
time rather than will).

Have you read "Brodies report"? This sounds interesting. It would also be
good to see any changes in his development after a 20 year gap.

regards
Murray

Murray;

Have you read the non-fictions yet?  I've been hooken on it since
returning from Macedonia some months ago.  Borges' books are almost
impossible for me to put down.

Best,

Rudy