Re: [microsound] about copying cd

----- Original Message -----
From: "Theophraste Peeble" verchonfourgu@xxxxxxx

> I think there are 3 important points about this :
>
> 1)Records are generally speaking very expensive, and if you don't have
> enough money to buy the records you want, you won't be able to listen to
> them when you want if you don't copy them.

Records cost more relatively speaking 20 years ago than now. Beside that, is
poverty a good reason to steal something? Cars are generally speaking very
expensive, and if I cant afford one, should I go out and steal one? When
exactly are you poor enough to justify music stealing? It's tough luck if
you are so poor you cant buy music, but it doesnt justify stealing.

> 2)Labels which release artists generally (I say GENERALLY) earn more money
> than their artists on a record sold. Is this normal ? Do you prefer giving
> more money to a label than to the musicians you love ?

As long as the artist himself is not willing to take the risk of investing
in a CD, the record company should be rewarded with profit. The bigger the
risk the bigger the reward should be. "Earning more money" (in terms of
"getting the income from a release") doesnt necessarily mean they make a
huge profit. Most CD releases in the world, if you look at all music that is
released, either looses money or breaks even. Some artists are not even
aware of how expensive it is to properly release a CD, let alone market it,
so they think record companies and lables screw them over when keeping a
portion of the income.

> 3) About downloading tracks : it help to dicover less known artists, and
> people who dicover them in this way often buy their records later.

There is no evidence out there that says than one download more often than
not results in one purchase of the same music. In some cases it happens,
yes, and with some types of music it happens more often than with others,
but people who sample music through MP3s are more inclined to be happy with
more or less legal MP3s if they can save money buy getting things from Kazaa
or other services.

Regards from Glenn Folkvord
Hyperion Media - arts and media development
glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxx