Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC (linux information)

Tirriddiliu . wrote:

But, unfortunately, I still make music using windows since most of my work is made in a wave-editor, SoundForge, and I couldn't really find anything good as SF on Linux.
I think the best I found is Rezound: http://rezound.sourceforge.net/
But this is more a problem connected to my composition approach.

Depending on your needs, and how much a slick-looking GUI is important to you, Snd might be interesting to check out. It is something like the "Emacs of sound editors", and has lots of configuration customizations for everything from appearence to functionality. A bit like a roll-your-own-editor, actually.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/snd.html

Linux audio author Dave Phillips has a two-part article comparing Snd and CoolEdit here, for more info:

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/10/05/snd_partone.html

But if you don't want to spend the time to learn something new, and an app which "looks like" SoundForge is what you are after, then probably Rezound is your best bet.

http://rezound.sourceforge.net/

Only problem is that the LADSPA effects aren't previewable in this app! You have to render the effect first and then listen to it. I dislike this, so I tend to run things in realtime through JackRack, which is a virtual effects rack for LADSPA plugins, so I can hear what I am doing.

http://arb.bash.sh/~rah/software/jack-rack/

best,
d.

--