Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC

derek holzer wrote:

Linux plus an Athlon processor laptop is my recommendation. You get more

how is a mobile athlon? I don't like the idea to stuff a desktop cpu in a laptop and call 1 or 2 hours battery duration mobile computing.

graphics or things like that. This kind of trickery doesn't really make me too fond of a company's business strategy.

Trickery is all around, x86 laptops are almost built for windows, sad but true. Installing Linux is pain on them

If you are curious if the PC laptop you are about to buy is Linux-compatible, you can always take a live CD such as Knoppix or Dyne:bolic to the shop and try it out:

http://www.dynebolic.org/

or go to

http://www.linuxlaptops.org/

I was in fact in shopping mood for a x86 Linux laptop and did a lot of research but then hesitated.

Don't forget about PDP for video! Getting better all the time.
yeah, got to check out, maybe good for my next project.

There's a picture
from the last Linux Audio conference of a guy from NI with Kontakt

I got a piece played there. I love Jack and the way to route a signal out from Ardour, going through PD and back. ReWire in perfection, audiowise. Build your own 'plugins' and change them on the fly. But Ardour had a lot of problems with the automationdata in that time, dont ask me for the version #.

[I would rather wear my mother's underpants than mess around with OS 9!],

Yeah, skip both :) Amiga was more multitasking then that!

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner