Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC

Tjeerd Sietsma <tsietsma@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The main differences between a PC and a Mac are (from a sound designer's
point of view):
- PC is cheaper than a Mac to buy, but a Mac keeps it's value
- PC's usually come with Windows. Windows demands your attention all the time.

In what way do you mean that Windows "demands your attention all the time"?
I work on both PC and Mac and don't find either one to demand more of my time than the other. From what I've seen, both operating systems have thier own particular issues. And all the talk about how Macs are "more intuitive" are based on subjective opinions rather than objective ones because when I first started using PCs, I didn't have much problem getting around on them (without a manual), but when I started working with Macs, I had to spend too much time searching for certain basic functions and system settings. But this was just my personal experience (again, a subjective one).

And if you're working with sound, Macs and programs made for Macs are (yes, needlessly) overpriced, and there are still way more sound oriented programs available that are made for Windows and cost less money or are available for free on the internet.
And I still think many people in the sound world partially use Macs because they are viewed as some sort of status symbol !  ;-)  I'm sorry people, but it doesn't make the music any better just because it was made on a Mac.

Best, Dale