Re: [microsound] sGA workshops this fall

Kim: ¿and latinamerica when?

Kim Cascone <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just wanted to let people know that I will be giving workshops this fall
in the following cities: Gent, Amsterdam, Vilnius, Aarhus, Copenhagen,
Warsaw with more to be decided...
Vilnius, Gent and Amsterdam have been confirmed so far and I am still
waiting for confirmations from others...

I am attaching a short abstract for the workshop below, if you are
interested in participating in my workshop please contact me off-list and I
will put you in contact with the appropriate organization who will handle
registration in the location you are interested in:

abstract:

"Emergent Content Creation Using Simple Genetic Algorithms"
The concept for this workshop was inspired by John Maeda¹s "Human Powered
Computer Experiment" http://www.imrf.or.jp/HPCE.html. In this experiment
Maeda recreated the internal operations of a simple computer using people to
physically transport handwritten instructions and data to and from the CPU,
RAM, FPU, etc. Participating in this type of experiment enables one to best
learn abstract concepts using their body as a medium.
In similar spirit, this workshop develops a group workflow using the model
of a simple genetic algorithm (SGA) with the end result being an emergent
work of music/sound art.
Participants need only bring a laptop (Ethernet and/or Wi-Fi card is
needed), their favorite audio software tools, a web browser and a spirit of
experimentation and exploration. For more info please contact me directly.