[microsound] [as] august 2004

...as...
airs: every SATURDAY midnight 104.4FM [london, uk]
live streams: http://www.resonancefm.com
other places/times: http://www.worldtimeserver.com
contribute: b[at]estsoks.demon.co.uk

07.08.04
[ -HYPH- ]: one hour as breathing as if dependent on gadgets

composed and produced by nicholas weise, hamburg, 2003/4

part I
[02'40" - 20'55"]
composed and produced oct/nov 2003

part 0
[00'00" - 02'39"]
and
part II
[20'56" - 60'00"]
composed and produced feb - amy 2004

sound sources used:
bass clarinet without mouth piece, breathing, various kitchen devices, disturbed synth signal, feedback, cello, piano strings, splinters of glass on wet concrete, pneumatic brake of a freight wagon, self produced techno music through 1 broken speaker, the fragmented voice of victoria fernandez, the fragmented singing of blue lake choir

there has been countless research, poetics, allegory and politics around the phenomenon of brathing as one [or t-h-e] central function and symptom of being alive. [recently, another audio composition called 'as a breath has been featured on the ...as... radio series].

there are as many different potential forms of dealing with the 'material' of breath as there are people breathing. my personal concern is fragmentation - not merely as an artistic technique, but as a principle form of perception, communication, thinking , feeling and generally living in today's techno capitalist society. in my work, non-linear swithces between analogue and digital, sometimes beyond any calculation, are taking place. layers take over layers, transparency turns opaque. fragments infiltrate layers composed of other fragments. structures are being torn apart, rasterized digitally and then manually/illogically re-assembled.

disruption and disjointment in all that we receive as 'normalised' and 'funtionalised' is keeping us awake.

we can only breath if we are conscious of the gadgets and the dependencies...

requiem89[at]gmx.de www.skam.org

14.08.04
Raymond Dijkstra: one hour as un oiseau enferme, sauf le tete, dans une boite contenant de l'hydrogene sulfure meurt assez rapidement

piece for two harmoniums

recorded Amsterdam, 12.01.04

21.08.04
Andrew Hayleck: one hour as... - - - ...

This piece was begun in August 2002 to be played through a four channel sound installation for the High Zero Festival in Baltimore. At that time it was called "Lazy Afternoon." The gong was played by bowing a 6 foot wire that was attached to it. Four microphones were place at various points on the gong. "Lazy Afternoon" was (is) 32 minutes long.

Since that time, "Lazy Afternoon" became an ironic title, and came to mean something different. I mixed the four channels down to two and added an additional 28 minutes. It has to do with memory.

andyhayleck[at]yahoo.com

28.08.04
Mike Shannon/Jeph Jerman/Luca Miti: 90 minutes as Spring-Summer 2002

recorded in Cottonwood, Arizona by Jeph Jerman, Rome, Italy by Luca Miti, and Seattle, Washington by Mike Shannon; mixed by Mike Shannon at Joy Street Studios, Florida April 2004

I AM PERPLEXED BEHIND THIS TAPE if listening is the thing, why then all the fuss about anything else? when mind interferes can we not change it? if there is no discernable human intent behind a "work of art", is it then still worth the attention? this tape has taken a long time. about a year in fact, due to the careful considerations of it's makers. i initially thought we were going to make an improvised music tape through the mail. luca's idea was for the three of us to record the sounds of our environments, inside and out and then mix them together, which is what we ended up doing, luca in rome, mike in seattle and myself in cottonwood. mike did the mixing. after hearing the initial mixed tape, luca had some reservations, or so as he called them, "doubts and perplexities". the speed of his tape recorded was slightly different than either mike's or mine, the people who he'd recorded may not want their voices published, (which turned out not to be true), the subject matter of the conversation (shit) may not be "appropriate" for a "work of art", the tape was boring. mike fixed the speed problem by remixing the whole tape. conversations in italian may not be comprehensible to many, ...and boredom is a state of mind that can easily be overcome by changing it. truly listening supercedes all of these. luca admitted a quest for perfection. to my mind, these things are already perfect. we often do not perceive them as such. so where is the perfection, the boredom, the inappropriateness? ego very often conceals itself in seemingly correct thought. who would want to publish a work that did not bear the imprint of it's maker? behind the idea of "communication", there is often lurking the desire to be perceived in a certain special light. this impulse is difficult (though not impossible) to disengage, but i believe the results are much more interesting, if one can disengage it. each time i have listened to this tape i have heard something new. the mind not burdened by resistance is open to experience, and that is what this tape is. a sound experience that we offer you, and it's up to you to put it to use.

jeph jerman, cottonwood az, march 2003

Produced by:Mike Shannon/Joy Street Studios
joystreetstudios[at]hotmail.com

...as...  2cdr
28 tracks on two cdrs. contributors: REIKO.A, joe colley, jason lescalleet, tetuzi akiyama, AMT, DSM, christophe charles, brendan walls, loren chasse, yannick dauby, kozo inada, rudolf eb.er, bruce russell, steve roden, kuwayama kiyoharu, seth nehil, stefan roigk, eric la casa, michael j. schumacher, david maranha, zbigniew karkowski, matt shoemaker, RLW, achim wollscheid, alexandre st-onge, utah kawasaki, christof migone, yasunao tone/mark fell. come wrapped in uniquely designed wax-proof paper.
buy online: http://www.resonancefm.com/shop.php
donate: http://www.resonancefm.com/support.htm