RE: [microsound] Can I make a MS mic from 3 WM-61a's?

From: Joakim Lindén <joakim.linden@xxxxxxxxx>
To: &quot;microsound&quot; <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [microsound] Can I make a MS mic from 3 WM-61a's?

I found a place in Sweden that sells WM-61A's - but no other elements. Is it possible to use only those in the design or does it have to be a special pattern for the mid mic?

What pattern are those elements? It's the side mics that matter, the mid can be pretty much anything. M/S is usually a figure 8 mic for the side signal and the mid can be omni, cardioid, hypercardioid, etc. It looks like the plan you're looking at is using 2 elements back to back to create the figure-8 pattern so as far as I know those have to be cardioid elements for it to work. In other words if the WM-61a is a cardioid pattern you should be able to use 3 of those just fine but if it's an omni it won't work. It looks like the plan specifies 3 WM55a's or alternately a 61a in the middle. To me that implies that the 55a is a cardioid and the 61a is something else. I could be totally wrong though so take this advice with a grain of salt.