[microsound] [as] september 2004

....as...
airs: every SUNDAY 00:00h 104.4FM [london, uk]
live streams: http://www.resonancefm.com
other places/times: http://www.worldtimeserver.com
contribute: b[at]estsoks.demon.co.uk

05.09.04
Tom Løberg & Lasse Marhaug: one hour as Two Unlimited

Two Limited started as a project continuing some of the ideas that Tony Conrad had in the sixties. Wanting to expand minimal drone-based music, we started with two violins, each having only one string. (Which in reality was only a coincidence but later bacame an aesthetical issue.) We had no initial plan for these recordings other than that we wanted to do one recording each month for a year but became more and more preoccupied with experimenting with different types of spaces and their relationship to the sounds we were making. During this year and twelve recordings, we ended up playing in spaces as diverse as in a tunnel, an old ammunition storage, outside in the woods, as street musicians down town, in an echo-free chamber at the university, at an art gallery opening, to the screening of Leger's 'Ballet Mecanique' and at home, hooked up with contact microphones and electronics.

The sessions took place in 2002 in the city of Trondheim, Norway.

11 of the sessions were recorded on a Minidisc with a simple stereo microphone. The 12th recording (the march recording) was done with a dictaphone on microcassette. The complete recordings total 210 minutes. This 'one hour as..' session is a 60 minute mix using bits from all sessions, in chronological order. No effects have been added, except a slight mastering adding more bass.

It has been a pleasure. Thankyou for listening.

http://www.lassemarhaug.no/

12.09.04
Circular : one hour as Inner Time Gardens.

A work recomposed using sections from earlier work as soon as new materials. Resonant metals and slow motion variations are the main elements in this piece.

http://users.skynet.be/P-ART/PARTWEB/14VARELA/VARELA.htm
Next schedule in Berlin Podewil September 1st, 2004 :
http://www.der-negative-horizont.de/index.html

Der Negative Horizont

Fr 01.10. – 20 Uhr Podewil - Saal

Circular
José Marchi (Elektrische Gitarre, Aufnahmen), Daniel Varela (Klavier, Aufnahmen)

Klang-Installationen, Ausstellung und Soundgalerie
Fr 24.09. - 2.10.
Eröffnung für alle Installationen: Do 24.09. - 18 Uhr
Täglich 14–18 Uhr außer sonntags, an den Veranstaltungstagen bis 23 Uhr

Solis Flamma (2003-2004)
Ausstellung von José Marchi (Buenos Aires) mit einer Soundinstallation von Circular (José Marchi und Daniel Varela)

19.09.04
Cedric Peyronnet: kdi dctb 166 [a] [one hour as a well]

Sound piece designed around the audio recording of a well: "What does one hear at the bottom of a well by an end of day of August?"

[one hour as a well] - Pommier, Bellac (87), France
kdi dctb 166 [a] | 2004

This sound piece, designed around the audio recording of a well, done on 26/08/2004 in Pommier, Bellac (87), France, is carried out within the framework of the [As] radio show on ResonanceFm in London.

Any hollow "tube" is a body which resounds according to the sound vibrations, and whose frequency of principal resonance is proportional to its diameter and its length.

A microphone "plunged" in this tube allows to collect this frequency which modulates and is modulated by the sounds of the sound environment in which it is.

Everyone made already the experiment to listen to the sounds through a plastic pipe, for example, and remembers in the way in which the surrounding sound was found coloured.

This principle was already applied in my work [1], in order to carry out a first sculpture of the sound of it (... "natural"), or simply to collect particularly marked acoustic situations (sound signatures of objects or places).

And after all, a well is nothing other than a tube whose diameter makes it possible however to obtain a significant low frequency band [2].

My parents have a well in their garden, located at 1km of a trunk road and under an air lane: I decided to put my ears at it.

The well is a kind of "hole" absorbing the sounds and the dye of its own sound signature ; it is not a sound source but an object with acoustics so particular that it colours the surrounding sounds in the continuous drone. These same surrounding sounds (motor vehicles, planes, wind, birds, insects...)"also play" of the well as a mouth would blow in a wind instrument.

It then becomes difficult to dissociate the "inside of the outside" [3].

kdi dctb 166 [a] [one hour have has well ] is a first ausio piece designed around this concept of the recording of the sound signatures of the wells ; it is carried out within the framework of the radio broadcast [As] on ResonanceFm in London.

Technical notes

Recorded : 26/08/2004 in Pommier, Bellac (87), France between 18h00 and 19h00 ;
System : 2 omnidirectional microphones separated from 1m and laid out with 1m50 of depth inside the well;
Composed/mixed : 27/08/2004 ; Duration : 1h00 ; the piece consist of a simple superposition of the sequence of the rough recording of the well (1h00) + the same sequence played back an octave higher (0h30) + the same reversed sequence (0h30) ; no audio treatment was carried out.

[1] See for example kdi dctb 053 B, on phonography.org n°2

[2] the frequencies of resonance of this well are around 20Hz

[3] See, on this subject, the chapter "inside and outside" in "Le promeneur écoutant" of Michel Chion - ISBN 2-90803496-4

http://www.ingeos.org/site/article.php3?id_article=149

26.09.04
Antanas Jasenka/ Gintas K/ ...

tbc. more details later.

....as... 2cdr
28 tracks on two cdrs. contributors: REIKO.A, joe colley, jason lescalleet, tetuzi akiyama, AMT, DSM, christophe charles, brendan walls, loren chasse, yannick dauby, kozo inada, rudolf eb.er, bruce russell, steve roden, kuwayama kiyoharu, seth nehil, stefan roigk, eric la casa, michael j. schumacher, david maranha, zbigniew karkowski, matt shoemaker, RLW, achim wollscheid, alexandre st-onge, utah kawasaki, christof migone,yasunao tone/mark fell. come wrapped in uniquely designed wax-proof paper.
buy online: http://www.resonancefm.com/shop.php
donate: http://www.resonancefm.com/support.htm