[microsound] re:[microsound] 'snow white' [was: sampling issues / motivations...]

disney didn't need to ask the brothers grimm for 'snow white'.
-I wonder if 'snow white' was asked anyway.
 Forced more likely..

Well Disney asked and gave Stravinsky a check for $6000 to get his blessing to use his composition "Rite of Spring" in his 1939 movie "Fantasia" with the clear statement to Stravinsky's publishers that Disney understood the piece to be free of copyright and that they would use it regardless. Stravinsky was reportedly not at all and never was pleased Disney turned his tale of ancient Russia into a tale of rampaging dinosaurs. I believe Stravinsky's publishers within a few years submitted a sound alike but revised notation score for for U.S. copyright.

Throughout the 90s Stravinsky's publishers argued that the home video release of "Fantasia" was a new format release was not covered by the original agreement. The publishers lost and I believe Disney has had numerous variations stemming from the home video medium not being sufficiently different from theatrical showings to require a contract re-negotiation.

There's quite a bit on the web - just search on Disney, Stravinsky, copyright

nicholas d. kent http://www.artskool.biz/jem/ndkent/