Re: [microsound] Re: soundalikes

yeah, rerecording a tune is a good way to avoid paying for the
mechanical rights for the existing recording of squeeze, however there
is still the matter of publishing rights.  This law also varies
country to country, the UK has a pretty decent set of laws designed to
protect artists from having their work used to promote a product they
do not agree with.  I'm sure there are similar laws in place in the
US.