Re: [microsound] Re: soundalikes

the beatles lifted a riff from kathie's waltz by dave brubeck for their song All My Loving.

just somethin kyle
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
srooney@xxxxxxxx wrote:
to what i've heard from various sources in hiphop/r'n'b/etc. production it
has become usus lately to first program/sketch out tracks with ripped
samples/loops/whatnots and then have session musicians come in and play
them

interestingly, I recently heard an old interview with John Lennon where he
said that for a while early in his career, his songwriting mo was to make
up new lyrics to a song he liked. Same melody, same feel, same chord
changes, everything. Then when it came time to record, he would try to
think of a few things he could change to make it different without
changing the overall feel. He didn't give any specific examples
unfortunately.

Which probably isn't so much different than what people like Woody Guthrie
did, except they didn't bother to change anything. They just kept the old
melody with the new words. So maybe its not such a new tactic after all :)

/sean