[microsound] Re: High sampling rates/Bit depths

In terms of recording audio, in my experience 24 bit
makes a very significant improvement & is well worth
the slight added overhead in drive space/data throughput etc
If a project can remain 24bit from start to pre-delivery
then so much the better...
I have only recently replaced my portable 16bit DAT machine
with a hard disk recorder (Fostex FR2)
which supports 24 bit & up to 192k sample rate
and the difference in fidelity & depth of field is startling
especially recording in situations where ambient sound
levels can be unpredictable. If you later have to pull up low level
sound then there is a lot more resolution there to use
rather than exposing the remaining few bits...

I'm not sure if its been reported here too but Quicktime 6.6
will apparently support higher bit & sample rates as well as 5.1
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=588
welcome news to these ears!

--
"I call architecture frozen music"