Re: [microsound] the great depression of experimental music? (OT)

chthonic streams <chthonic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> why blasphemy?  must we accept the received wisdom of eastern
> mysticism that all physical objects are bad?

That is not my point.  I see music as a social experience.
Interaction between musicians doing it, between the musicians and the
audience and the among audience members is an important part of the overall
experience.  Perhaps not for everyone, but it is.  And I am not
talking about the 'spectacle' factor here.

> look at it as a piece of
> visual art.

what, a CD?

> a painting or sculpture.
> just perhaps mass-produced. or
> not.

Well, I guess I'm into unique things...

> what's wrong with associating these things together?

Nothing wrong with associations.  I don't have a problem with music
being put on a fixed medium.  I have a problem with the fact that this
fixed medium is taking over.

> are these better formats on offer from download services?

Depends where you're looking for downloads.  Also, they will simply
remain as obscure alternatives given mp3's widespread.  Unless a
substantial number of subscribers to such 'services' wakes up and
demands better quality.  Which will not happen, I know.

> setup.  i don't like songs associated with files sitting on a hard
> drive in a folder, accessed in a list that i play at once or put on
> random shuffle.

This isn't much different from a CD:

HD = fixed medium = CD
files on HD = files on CD