[microsound] [Sun Oct 3] New Event: the Cosine Salon

Hey folks,

Just this once I am reverting to my old bad habits of long
event posting, but this time it's with a good excuse; this
is a *new* series and unlike the usual events we host here
it is a PARTICIPATORY salon which you, microsounders within
driving distance, are PARTICULARLY encouraged to consider
attending.

Why? Because I know you have the ear and sensibility.

In a nutshell, this is a sine-wave jam session with analog
generators and a focus on deep attention and collaboration.

This is a SALON not a performance, which means you can also
come and go, and also, hopefully, that this will become a
recurring (I hope monthly) event: all the better to work
our ears over...

More information and a colorful flyer coming soon at:

 http://www.cosinesalon.org  (which is also:)
 http://www.quietamerican.org/related_cs.html

Apologies though for those for whom this is just more spam.

 aaron ximm

~ quiet american introduces ~

  t h e
  c o S i n e
    s a l o n

  ~ let us play ~

  a church of sustain
  is opening its doors

  come congregate
  in the service
  of harmony

  ~ or, rather more succinctly ~

  turn up,
   tune in,
    bliss out

~ what

  Your host will provide:

  eight or more vintage sine tone generators
  ~ one to a person ~
  two controls: frequency and amplitude.

  No processing, no fx, no egos.
  Just waves, waves, waves.

  The evening will comprise:

  assorted games of consonance and dissonance
  ~ exercises in listening and attention ~
  and improvisation of sorts.

~ who

  This is a  S A L O N  not a performance.

  You are cordially invited, nay, encouraged
  to participate!

  You are welcome to attend to listen only,
  if you like, but ~

  As this is the first such salon come with
  open ears ~ and ~ moderate expectations.

  Your host is Aaron Ximm.

~ how

  Please RSVP with a non-binding show of hands.

  If you have an  A N A L O G  tone generator ~ or ~
  portable self-powered speaker or [bass etc] amp,
  please bring such.

~ when & where

  Sunday, October 3
  7ish onward

  964 natoma
  sf ca 94103 (usa)

  415.487.9439

  No charge, and BYOx.

  Forward freely to interesting parties.

  Soon you can visit: http://www.cosinesalon.org

~ why?

   A sudden chorus of whoops and yibbles burst from
   a kind of juke box at the far end of the room.
   Everybody quit talking. The bartender tiptoed back,
   with the drinks.

   'What's happening?' Oedipa whispered.

   'That's by Stockhausen,' the hip graybeard informed
   her, 'the early crowd tends to dig your Radio Cologne
   sound. Later on we really swing. We're the only bar in
   the area, you know, has a strictly electronic music
   policy. Come on around Saturdays, starting midnight we
   have your Sinewave Session, that's a live get-together,
   fellas come in just to jam from all over the state, San
   Jose, Santa Barbara, San Diego--'

   'Live?' Metzger said, 'electronic music, live?'

   'They put in on the tape, here, live, fella. We got a
   whole back room full of your audio oscillators, gunshot
   machines, contact mikes, everything man. That's for if
   you didn't bring your ax, see, but you got the feeling
   and you want to swing with the rest of the cats, there's
   always something there's always something available.'

    ~ Thomas Pynchon's 'The Crying of Lot 49' (circa 1965)

Oh and by the way: skronk and you're out.

  ghede@xxxxxxxx
  http://www.quietamerican.org