[microsound] cdr discount

>" some live venues discount an artist if they receive
a CDR
instead of a pressed CD.

d."

maybe those are the venues to ignore.

many acts collect a large number of releases because
either they are independantly weathly or have alot of
scenester connections.  difficult music (espiecially
when made by people who aren't rich) often finds
itself left out of the gold rush.  in American
culture, despite the appearence of many pop culture
movements, it is still considered a bad thing to be
poor.  poverty = ignorance to many people.  that is
another rant though.

a related rant would be to discuss how venues that
reject cdr demos out of hand serve imperialism by
cementing class differences between haves and have
nots.  it is disrecpectful to the DIY approach, which
for many of us is the only approach.

while the DIY practice has no auto-crap filter (much
of the shit gets though) certainly the "crap filter"
on corporate music's release machine is malfunctioning
or we wouldnt have yet another Ani Difranco record in
the world.  certainly being "released" has no bearing
on cultural validity or the worth of one's artwork.

Brian Eno says in his autobiography that this (I am
paraphrasing) is particularly a British problem and
one experienced acutely by writers, espiecially people
writing more experimental material.  A huge stigma
exists against self publishing (paraphrasing eno) but
then, no one is putting out the book, and so?

he also discusses our fear of being labeled
"pretentious".  he redefines this term as meaning -one
who pretends to be something one is not yet- which
describes all children, whose games go on to become
"real" in a very organic manner.  how could anyone do
anything without pretending to be doing it and then
doing it?  of course, this too is a different issue.

back to venues I would say this:

annoying, snooty places with no respect for your work
as an artist can be marked off the list regardless of
how galmerous they may seem to be right now.

these places last less long than our careers by far.
even the super hip new fashion store, graphic design
nightmare Lm-5007 gallery or whatever will probably
close after 5 years and you will still be making
music.  If they reject your demo because of the "paper
its printed on" they are fools.

set up shows with your friends.  its more fun anyway.
slowly you can meet other musicians and make contact
with venues that will probably be more to your liking
anyhow.

jorge