Re: [microsound] our first .microsound poll

Kim Cascone

> OK we have our first poll posted here:
> http://or8.net/~johns/cgi-bin/microsound/poll.pl
> it is an experiment, a test, a trial balloon...please take the
> poll...we need as many people to bang on it as possible...afterwards
> please post your feedback, suggestions, ideas etc. to the list so we
> can improve the poll in the future...

That looks very good, of cource, nice job.

I do think, however, that the current question does not lend itself well to
polling. It´s a factual question that depending on how you interpert the
question will conceivably have one right answer, the others being wrong.
It´s phrased in the past tense, refering to this century, leaving only a few
years. I took that to mean that this influence would have had to have
happened in this period too but I can easily see how others would give
different interpertations. In short I think this particular test question
would lend itself more to discussion that to polling. Future questions, I
think, should be aimed less at such topics and more at opinions and question
on how people work.

I´m immaginining questions like what part of their work process people spend
most time on (recording, programing, sound editing, sequencing, listening,
conceptual thinking, etc) or what type of program or instrument people work
with most (acoustic, hardware, home brew, open source, bought comercial,
warezed commercial...). You see, I think that certain topics get most
attention on the list but they need not be the most commonly used, anonimous
polling might bring such things to light which might be interesting.

.....But those are just my thoughts and I´m a bit of a newbie.
:¬)

Yours,
Kas.