Re: [microsound] human voice range

Hi list,

is that correct that human voice range covers 300 Hz to 3500 Hz ?

is that why most instruments have been designed
in this range?

the human voice range starts about 83 Hz (E2) and more or less goes up to 1046 Hz (C6)...

I wouldn't say that there is a direct and causal correspondence between voice range and (most) intruments range. It's something more complex that links voice range, listenings discrimination, physiology of the auditive system and physics of the instruments...

of course most instruments are classified by their range following voice classifications (bass, baryton, tenor, alto, mezzosoprano, soprano) and following more or less their range.. that's true...

still, in my opinion, a close direct causal relationship is still far... I would rather say that human voice and intruments range are part of the same meaning system...

massimiliano

-- M a s s i m i l i a n o V i e l http://www.maxviel.it http://www.otolab.net/projects/sn/index.htm