[microsound] death metal and powernoise

--- John Nowak <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There's an overlap between microsound and death metal?

and

I live in the US, and I've never heard the term "noise" used to
describe any sort of distorted beats nonsense. Usually that has a
stupid name like "noisecore" or "breakcore" or something else with
"core".

- John

Well, there is the overlap between microsound and speed metal where Francisco Lopez used recordings of his friend's speed metal band rehearsing as source material (apparantly Francisco Lopez at least really likes speed and death metal, and I myself have to admit a certain nostalgia for it at times). Not that that makes for a genre overlap, but it's interesting anyway.

As far as the american idea of noise, the way I understand it from hearing about it from others, is that there is a distinction between noise (merzbow, Le Syndicat, Nautical Almanac, etc.) and 'powernoise', which is the ant zen kind of simplified but heavy beat based industrial stuff with the ocassional blast of 'noise' here and there. And I think most americans would make this distinction except for old people who grew up on swing who think that all music that isn't swing or classical is 'noise', but that's a whole other story.

Greg

http://spagirus.ivdt.net