Re: [microsound] death metal and powernoise

Two "metal" artists who have definitely crossed into
the "experimental" (whatever that means) world, and at
times exist at these boudaries are James Plotkin and
Mick (MJ) Harris.

Harris was for a while associted with extreme metal
outfit Napalm Death (cited in one interview as a fave
of F. Lopez). His Scorn project brought this dark
intensity to a techno/dub sorta thang and the Lull
moniker is purely intense throbbing drone.
Collaborations with Bill Laswell and james Plotkin
have also brought him into slowed down ambient
territory. (Napalm Death is rumored to have released
an LP with--so it is claimed--over one hundred songs
on it as well as a 7" with over 1000! How's that for
micro-metal??)

Plotkin was a main force in the oddball ('scuse me
"experimental") metal outfit OLD--which itself
incorporated strange techno/industrial
elements--continues to play in Khanate (a "metal"
group known for time-stoppingly slow high-volume
dirges and super low, room-rumbling
frequencies--perhaps another Lopez connection??) and
other aggressive noisy projects but has also produced
very nice subtle guitar drone things (some in
collaboration with KK Null, "known" for his involveent
with the grungy Zeni Geva (see their collab CD
AURORA).

The various comps, "Throne of Drones," "Swarm of
Drones" (don't know the labels) include tracks by
these guys and document others of similar veins well.

Don't know if it's technnically "microsound" and I'm
hardly an authority on either's vast outputs but,
well... there you go.