Re: [microsound] sad songs

y'know, i think mood is important...

but i understand where matt is coming from when he says "spirit." since i think most of us are creating instrumental music, the overall tone becomes more subjective, there's no voice telling us what we should be thinking. at the same time, an album like "endless summer" carries a definite warmth to it, and i think that "spirit" of the music (as well as it's title) can translate into a certain mood, the same way a brinkmann piece might sound colder, or more sparse, and thus we translate that in to a sad or dark mood...

now, to me, microsound's at it's best when the tonalities aren't totally alien. i love when i hear some new tracks people are making and the sources are vaguely reminiscent of something, instrumentally or otherwise because there's that hint of familiarity--

so with this familiarity idea, i'm currently making tracks based on bad photographs, blurry, accidental, overexposed, etc. i'm hoping that by leaving hints of my source material, i can carry this "spirit" idea without getting overly involved with setting a "mood"

that's just my two cents...