[microsound] Re: powernoise

* chthonic streams <chthonic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
i understood powernoise and power electronics to be pretty much the
same thing, all derived from whitehouse and the more extreme TG
tracks.  lots of screaming over loud analog gear pushed to its limits
and/or distorted beyond belief.  people like con-dom, bloodyminded,
and slogun.

* Anthony Saunders <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I on the other hand was under the impression that "power noise" and
"power electronics" were very different.  PE being Whitehouse, Sutcliffe
Jugend, Genocide Organ, Con-Dom, Grey Wolves, Taint, Grunt, Slogun,
etc, and PN being Ant-Zen style rhythmic noise.

This is pretty much how I've always seen it. PN being a *much* more recent strain of "noise", with emphasis on rhythm, and even "beats" (evolving from, among other things, stuff like The Klinik, PIAS & KK bands; take Dirk Ivens f.e. going from The Klinik -> Dive -> Sonar, certainly a staple of modern PN), unlike most of the PE artists mentioned above. No doubt many of the young Ant-Zen'rs have GO, WH, early SPK & TG in their bins though.

* Tone0010@xxxxxxx:
I was kind of surprised to hear talk from the low-key microsound board
about power electronics-style noise...  In Michigan we have Wolf Eyes
and the American Tapes label...  Over in Minneapolis is the Freedom From
label (http://www.freedom-from.com/)...  If you go to their links page
you will find a bunch of labels that have noisyness on them, you probably
haven't heard of a lot of it.  Then of course there's Providence RI, from
which comes the Load records label (http://www.loadrecords.com/).  This
label houses a good synthesis of noise and metal...

Uh, that's where most American power electronics seems to be coming
from these days, so go check it out.

I wouldn't classify Wolf Eyes, much on American Tapes, or anything on Load as "Power Electronics". Freedom From comes much closer to having artists that fit this description, but as with AT and Load, most are just "noisy". I'm certainly unaware of recent developments in this area, but I always thought folks like Slogun, Taint, Bloodyminded (ex-IA, a WH clone) & Knurl were the top of the NA PE contingent.

-Patrick

NP: Rokia Traoré - "Bowmboï" [Brilliant gig a few nights back]

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling get-togethers. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.