[microsound] [tech q] transducers/soundbug

hi folks.

i'm having a lot of trouble finding any information
anywhere about home-made soundbug-like transducers.
[soundbug.biz].

my intuition is that it's just a powerful
contact-mic-like device, but i guess i don't really
know enough about the technology to do a google search
that will help me build my own.  looking up "piezo
speakers" etc. has led me to a bunch of industrial
supply companies.

i've seen jim schoeneker and jon mueller activate
drums with what looked like bare around-the-house
speakers, but it was very quiet.  i really want to get
audible/recognizable sounds out of my guitar, drums,
and other miscellany.

thanks in advance for any tips!

best,
jake