Re: [microsound] [ot] Derrida Article in N.Y.T.

That's one of the smartest obits I've seen. For one thing, it doesn't use the ridiculous term "deconstructionism" (a term which cries out to be deconstructed!), or posit Derrida as the "father" of that "movement".

But now that I've read the whole article, I take it back. He has a more nuanced reading if deconstruction than most mainstream news outlets seem to, but ironically I think his writing on deconstruction needs to be deconstructed, since he's still saying that what matters is "what Derrida really meant", i.e., the author's intention, and that, for example, "identity politics" that appropriate his work are a "misunderstanding" of it. I doubt he's read much of the theory of this "identity politics"; the last thing that Homi Bhabha or Gaytri Spivak or Judith Butler are trying to do is re-establish the security of difference in a simplistic way. If anything there work shows how fragile and how embattled this construction called "identity" really is, how constantly under negotiation and erasure. They remind us that we do well to mobilize identity in a way which is contingent and negotiable, as in Spivak's well-known but also frequently "misunderstood" formulation "strategic essentialism". At the same time, they demonstrate that we can't do without identity, as it confers a kind of social legibility on us as subjects; thus for Spivak "deconstruction is the relentless critique of that which you cannot not want"; it's a "necessary impossibility" or a horizon, at which one never fully arrives no matter how much one tries. It's a naming which exists in the hope of the disappearance or radical undoing of what it names. Maybe that's not what "Derrida really meant", but any reading of Derrida that tries to control the uses of his text which exceed its original meaning reeks of the same spirit of closure which Derrida worked so hard to unravel.

SDF Public Access UNIX System
http://www.freeshell.org/
Geekier than you since 1987.