Re: [microsound] pitch/harmonics, math and perhaps samples too?

"Kassen" <kassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Indeed you can do all the math yourself for example because you might need
> something far off the regular charts or because you abosulutely need to know
> the 20th decimal for some obscure reason. If that is the case I would always
> base my calculations on A4 because A4 is supposed to be 440Hz, without any
> rounding errors.

Or because you want to compose a tape part for a baroque instruments
ensemble and the musicians will not want to tune up from 415Hz.  The
charts will not be of much help there.

> By the way, Is anybody aware of a pitch shifting implementation that can
> work based on arbitrary tunings?

pdjimmies (for Pure Data) (and Jimmies for Max/MSP, I'd assume) use a
frequency shifter that lets you tune in cents by default.  Available
here:  http://tot.sat.qc.ca/eng/nslam.html

The frequency shifter implementation uses variable delay line, may not
be what you're looking for...

../MiS