Re: [microsound] Re: us citizens... (OT

I have been following this thread and I totally understand the point of view that this list is not the place for political discussions. However, in this case, at least for anyone living in the US, the impact is so great that I think it's necessary for us all to think and talk about how our art will and should be affected by these developments.

Personally I think the left has spent too much time pandering to the right wing's anti-intellectual, anti-science, and religious fundamentalist factions. While we found out this week that those groups are more powerful than ever imagined (1 out of 3 Americans describes themselves as "Fundamentalist Christian"!), it's still crucial for the left to maintain some kind of clear definition of itself in order to keep our democracy intact. That's important for all of us, especially artists! I think the right wing fundamentalist ideology is in direct opposition to the kind of exploratory thinking and spirit of experimentation which characterizes this list.

So what can artists do other than make overtly political works? (which I have done a lot of lately) Like the political left, I think we need to focus on the differences between our work and the kind of retro ideas espoused by the political and musical "right wing". Basically make what we do so seductive and so subversive that it's irresistible. As Beuys said, art has to act as a weathervane for society, to direct culture forward. Otherwise we just end up giving into some kind of Medieval sensibility that believes in solving problems through religion and intuition rather than rational thinking. That doesn't work for me.

Ben Neill
www.benneill.com

"i think (maybe i am alone) people's personal opinions regarding
*_only_* democracy, political parties, voters, beliefs and morals or
LACK of any, do not belong on this list. i am certain if you must vent
to another member, it can be done offlist." posted earlier by datetmyer-

exactly my sentiments as well. that is why i stated opinions regarding
ONLY etc etc. i think somebody earlier posted that what if 'politics is
their motivation for inspiration at this time' (or something to that
effect). this i do not mind and find welcoming, for ANYTHING that
motivates ones creativeness, is open to discussion for me. or in my
case, reading from the shadows  : P