Re: [microsound] use of songs during wartime

On 11/9/04, Robair, Gino said something like:

>This topic brought a couple of questions to mind: 1. Does ASCAP and
>BMI track these "public performances" and give royalties to the
>artists? (if you've ever worked in a coffee shop or bar that plays the
>radio, you know how persnickety these organizations can be about
>"collecting" for their artists.)
>
>2. Do the armed forces get permission from the artists and publisher
>to play these tunes for warfare purposes? Remember what happened when
>a certain politician co-opted "Born in the USA" w/o getting the
>artist's permission (or really understanding what the song was about)?

Certainly both are very interesting questions.  I would also ask,
considering that some psychologist or martially-susceptible microsound
artist could produce more effective "content," what propanganda value
does the choice of songs have?

For the appropriation of these techniques, folks might want to check out
Grey Filastine's/Infernal Noise Brigade's "Moukabir Sawte:"

<http://www.postworldindustries.com/video/MoukabirSawtestream.mov>

....whose targets were media outlets in the Seattle area, I believe.

<vze26m98@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>