Re: [microsound] Canada Council Changes - Petition (fwd)

Hi Phil

I am wondering what aspects of the proposed changes are most objectionable to the community? The proposed changes seem to be a result of insufficient funding pools and lower success rates. This, it seems to me, is a global phenomenon in arts communities where government funding is provided. I'm actually a peer member of the Music Board of the Australia Council for the Arts, which is a similar institution to the Canada Council. Similar issues prevail, ie that competition is fierce and success rates are low. (typically 20%-30%). You can't expect to get grants, indeed you are quite lucky if you are successful. This means that even highly established artists cannot survive from grants. In the filed of music, we reached that point more than a decade ago, when the policy turned from being limited to the support of senior artists.composers of contemporary chamber/orchestral tradition to being more inclusive. The CC seems to be attributing the rise in applications to universites/art schools.... I wonder is this really the case??

In any arts funding organisation. there is constant tension between the need to support more establish artists whilst giving young/emerging artists a look in. If I have read it correctly, the CC seem to have provided support at either end with a 5 year waiting period between 5 and 12 years where you fend for yourself... (from first exhibition until you become formally 'established'). I personally don't think these kind of criteria are particularly helpful when it comes down to handing out grants and in many cases they seem to be a blunt strategy to limit the number of applications coming in (which can be truly staggering - i just read a few thousand pages of text and listened to a few hundred CDs in the last round... tends to make your eyes glaze over!!!).

At the end of the day you are seeking to reward the most meritorious applications (which may not be from the most senior artists) and provide some kind of development path for artists both new and established This is a very tough gig when you only have a small budget to work with. In my view, artists energies are better spent trying to help increase the funding pool rather than arguing over how it is handed out... Of the funding pool is too small, then that is by far and above your most major problem. Tweaks to the rules will achieve little. Right here, the issue is that major organisations with a turnover of more than AUD2,000.000 (around 1.5M USD) pa have cordoned off funding arrangements secured for a number of years and reviewed, whilst huge numbers of individual artists compete for the small pool outside this. To give you an idea. the major orchestras nationally receive 10 X the total funding pool available to individual music practitioners and music orgs with a less than $2M turnover... Essentially European art music (mainly confined to a 200 year period) receives 10x the support of all other music making put together... This is a David and Goliath situation... The importance of non-heritage practices needs to be championed by all so that governments are not allowed to be myopic in their view of the arts....

Anyway, just some thoughts!!!