Re: [microsound] State of Music

listen to a pop song from a thousand years ago and what do you hear...a melody using a seven note scale organized around a central pitch unfolding rhythmically in a regular pulse (from the tempo of a slow walk to that of a fast heartbeat) in a duble or triple meter...likely moving through on average 3 harmonic areas (i.e chords)

listen today...same thing

that scale...not even imagine you were an alien from another planet scale...simple musically literate scale.

Consider the biggest chart topper of the middle ages "L'omme arme"...no one would bat an eye if Bjork sang that song.

Have we lost the ability to think past superficial style?