Re: [microsound] State of Music

dear Peter,

I get what you're saying re: disco's determination .. I agree but the
question is *why* one uses such a strategy, and *how*.

To formalize your argument, the only way to reduce everything to one term
is:

- to argue in favour of an essential aspect to all forms of X;

A different tactic might be:

- investigating the EVENT of X's force (which is dependent on neither its
appearance or absence).

Asking what it IS and delimiting by whatever parameter you see fit yields
"the same" results too: the thought that 'X hasn't changed' creates thought
that doesn't change (anything) either (nor itself).

Now this can be an interesting tactic if it leads one to reconsider
ontological genealogy as revolving around its penchant for reincarnating
novelty. But even that is getting old.

Now the EVENT, of sound, on the other channel ..

......HOLA! Disco as 'western'? What, Africa just jumped into Germany? That's
later--that's post-Detroit AfroGermanic. The EVENT of sound might require
not a reduction to disco, but an opening to jazz and disco's isomorphic
descent from the experience of transatlantic displacement, the diaspora and
memorialized slavery. These relations might have something more to say about
the particular sonic times we live in then a schema of the same.

tV

> On Thursday, November 25, 2004, at 04:49  AM, Peter Price wrote:
>> Furthermore, disco is clearly a subset of western popular or
>> vernacular music, a form that viewed at from a particular scale has
>> not changed very much in 1000 years.
>
> What scale are we talking about?, ie... in order to enter this
> discussion, I'd need to have some more detailed context for the above
> statement
>
> I would agree that musical forms derive from one another and pop mostly
> eats itself (perhaps replace 'pop' with 'western music'), but I'm not
> sure I can say there is no sense of change.. unless you can convince me
> of the utility of seeing change as 'surface detail' of an
> inconsequential nature...

tobias c. van Veen -----------++++
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org --
http://www.thisistheonlyart.com --