Re: [microsound] [OT] FCC Insanity

on 12/15/04 9:15 PM, Jason Thomas at mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Sometimes it is the artist who is insane.....
>> creativity is a beautiful thing, but the problem
>> with some is that they are
>> not responsible enough for it.
>
> You seem to be under the impression that I am an
> "advocate" for the music that I used simply for
> demonstration purposes.  A closer examination of my
> original message will reveal that I would never have
> had the misfortune of hearing Mr. Dogg's ouvre had it
> not incidentally been the listening choice of a
> coworker.  My personal opinion of this music (as
> irrelevant as that is to the topic at hand) is fairly
> low.  I certainly don't own or plan to purchase any
> for my own recreational listening.
>
>> i suppose, and i don't agree with all censorship ,
>> but "sometimes" censoring
>> bullshit out of mainstream is necessary because it
>> appeals to the low points
>> and in effect only shapes a poorer culture by
>
> That, again, is not the point. Assume that we both
> agree that some material is not in fact suitable for
> public broadcast, threats against individuals, for
> instance, which we all know to be off limits and not
> covered under the first amendment. My concern is not
> related to the music, or talkshow broadcast in the
> case of Stern, or any other content. My post is
> related to the degree of non-accountability that the
> FCC has to QUANTIFY WHAT IS CONSIDERED
> INDECENT/OBSCENE.  All I ask is that whatever
> limitations are imposed are done so in a transparent
> and non-arbitrary manner.  For the FCC chairman to
> refuse to give a clear list of guidelines by which one
> must abide in order to avoid a fine or censorship, and
> later arbitrarily fining some individuals after the
> fact, a situation is created in which stations will
> simply remove any material to avoid lengthy lawsuits,
> even if they do not believe the material to be
> indecent.  I believe the "snowball" effect of the
> piece in question being progressively edited little by
> little may have been a result of threats to complain
> by listeners and/or the FCC itself.  Why else would it
> not have simply been edited to its current form from
> the start?
>
>> but your concern is that if it starts here it will
>> move on to other areas,
>> if you think that , your paranoid. Walk into any
>> experimental/techno record
>> shop and tell me how much censorship you see there.
>
> Again, this is not directly relevant to my concerns. I
> am referring to public airwaves, not private purchase.
> While I have not experienced any difficulty obtaining
> or distribution any material on physical media due to
> censorship, I do have a few pieces that could not be
> broadcast via radio.

My post is
related to the degree of non-accountability that the
FCC has to QUANTIFY WHAT IS CONSIDERED
INDECENT/OBSCENE

^ this is your point???ok, then, you expect them to hand you a list of
common sense??, and you are ready to sift thru it before committing to a
project, ??...i dont think you understand what censorship is , and what a
blessing it is of how little there is in this country compared to other
places and history.. anyhow...Im sorry if my response/opinion seemed like a
personal attack of assumptions, it wasn't meant that way...its just you
asked for opinions and you got one, ...i suggest this however, why don't you
gather material of what is acceptable and not censored that "works" already,
and then find something else that doesn't ( youve got two already,
Snoop/Stern), and make a logical assessment of both, im sure you would be
more effective that way then waiting for that "don't do" statement. and if
you choose to go against the river , find other streams... many people often
confuse they are being censored to what just isn't liked for
personal/subjective reasons...cant really argue with that now can you??