Re: [microsound] request for information

<mopani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm looking for advice on how to power large arrays of very small speakers
for a sound installation.  I have in mind small speakers which have a power
rating in the range <1watt to 10 watts and I want to have several "webs" of
speakers thus allowing several channels.

As I'm not planning on giving an industrial cookery lesson I somehow don't
think that connecting them to my studio 75watt/side amp would be wise.

It shouldn't be a problem if you run enough of the same kind of speaker in a series-parallel configuration. Assuming fro example that the speakers can handle ten watts, and have an average impedance of 8 ohms, connecting 4 parallel sets of 4 series wired speakers (16 speakers total) will appear to the amp as an 8 ohm impedance, while their combined power rating is 160 Watts (16 * 10). And remember to keep them all in phase...

I'm fine about working out resistance and so on but need help with the power issue.

Things get a little less predictable when different types of speakers in terms of power rating and impedance are combined in the same network, as if any impedances within the network vary, so will the power distribution. You should avoid mixing speaker types connected to the same amplifier channel or output.

Though a balance is best, it is usually safer to have a higher overall power rating for the speaker (network) than the amp(s) feeding it than the other way round.

S.