[microsound] interesting new release

I was FWD'd this info by my friends over at Sub Rosa and wanted to
share this info with the list since it sounds like something people
here would find interesting... KIM

RELEASE DATE
JANUARY 21 - 2005

SIMON KEEP interview with the eggs cd SR234

barcode
5411867112341

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

In confine of silence
"The original sound installation consisted of three headphones playing
back three
different sounds.
Though the first set of headphones the sound of snow was heard, close
up and sounding
like dust or sugar.
The second was the sound of a Buddhist monk meditating in an empty room.
The last was the sound of volcanic steam seeping out of the sides of a
mountain.
Alongside the headphones were one thousand origami cranes. The paper
was made from
photo snapshots of Japan and when made the cranes were hung in ten rows
of one hundred.
To make one thousand origami cranes is a Japanese symbol of health and
longevity.
Sound pieces produced from Mini Disc recordings I made in Japan 2002.
The audio has been extracted from Hokkaido's volcanic snow-covered
landscape.
The composition and patterns of the sound are based on the way I heard
these sounds;
they are inspired by my experience of listening. One of the recordings
was made inside
a temple. During "Zazen" meditation the sound of an empty room was
opening out to me
and I was hearing sounds deep into the room. One evening I recorded the
sound of an
empty midnight landscape, again I was listening into the silence and
into the distance.
Sounds would ring out from the distance, then a split second later I
would hear silent
space again."
Simon Keep

------
Simon Keep aka Holkham
Simon keep is a young londoner, composer, involved in a series of sound
installations.
More recently, out of a desire for people to hear/think about sound in
a more conscious
way, he has been working on a public arts project with Vital Arts at
the Royal London
Hospital. He has also been working with sound outside of the human
audibility, mainly
radio waves. Over the summer of 2002 he created a sound triptych for an
exhibition
in Memphis called "life/afterlife", (based on this inaudible sound.)
His up-coming project is working again with Why Not Associates on a
sixteen-channel
sound installation at the "Cultural Institute of Macau" in China, a
video piece filming
the sound of moths and a recording project collecting sound samples
from England's
least noise polluted spaces.

------

Silence as poetic system
Walking through snow, my feet crunching on the snow and ice, kicking
the snow,
sounding like sugar, snow dust.
 Night-time recording, the silence outside the cabin, red, green and
yellow stars,
the flashing lights of city.
 Hearing emptiness, no sound then sound, the imprint of sound in my
mind, reverberations
of sound in my head and the contemplation of sound.
Zazen, the sound of an empty room, listening deep into a room for
inherit sound
 Volcanic eggs, the sound of steam seeping out of a mountainside and
poaching eggs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

CD track listing
Hokkaido (parts 1-13)