Re: [microsound] [ot] development environment

John Nowak wrote on 1/27/05:

>nearly any type of application. Anyone who tells you that SC is more
>powerful because it is a "real" or "textual" language is not familiar
>with the true nature of dataflow programming. It is a very powerful and

>In summary, Pd will be your new god, and dataflow programming will be
>your new religion. Convert immediately.

John-

I think there's some debate as to whether Max/MSP/Pure Data qualifies as
a data-flow language:

"The term "data-flow" is not a good description of Max except for the
intuition. Data-flow computers and languages are based on the idea that
(parallel) computations can be synchronized by data. For example, an
addition operator would wait for its two operands before adding them.
Note that this is not at all how Max works. I will not argue that Max
should work this way, but since it doesn't, one should not call it a
data-flow language. I think "patch language" or "visual programming
language" are better terms. Since Max is not a data-flow language, it
lacks many of their nice properties. Interestingly, most signal
processing, and certainly DSP based on unit generators, is essentially
data-flow computation. Even the Max extensions for signal processing on
the IRCAM Signal Processing Workstation follow the data-flow paradigm,
resulting in a mismatch between the event-based Max operators and the
signal/data-flow-based Max operators. The boxes and lines look the
same, but the underlying semantics are quite different. This is a
manifestation of some of the problems that Desain and Honing describe."

Roger Dannenberg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

For the rest try:

<http://cf.hum.uva.nl/mmm/papers/dh-93-b.txt>