RE: [microsound] hard disk recorders roundup

A possible solution to the high price of buying pro-level audio gear - one of my old roomates from undergrad works for a pro audio shop in LA, they rent out everything from the Fostex FR2 all the way up to the Aaton Cantar and can send the gear via Fed Ex, also they have a huge selection of extemely sensitive mics for rent, I never considered that before, but it could save you a lot of money, if you say knew that for a weekend you are planning a trip to make recordings and wanted to rent the gear for a fraction of the price instead of buying it. This could way of working could allow you to choose specific gear for specific types of recordings/recording situations and never really have to own anything. I see this method as sort of a way around starting to drop thousands on gear, instead maybe, get a R1 and a very good mic, then rent the rest of the gear when needed. Save your money, buy a house instead.

Also, no one has mentioned this, but you can also rent/buy a portable Nagra, which is a tape based system, some people will argue/perfer this medium over digital, granted the fidelity ceiling is lower, but I wonder, would the Nagra sound better than most stuff under 1000$?, say like the R1? The portable Nagras, even used, are not cheap. I wonder is Watson used a Nagra for his older recordings?

Also on the very cheap end is the micro-cassette recorder, I know a few people who have managed to make some really really excellent recordings with a micro-cassette recorder using an external mic, granted its a mono medium.

Best
Scott