Re: [microsound] [ot] portable computers [WAS: minidisc recorders]

Hi Eric,

Eric b wrote:
> On a somewhat related note anyone have any experience
> running Linux on their ipod for th purpose of field
> recordings?

So happy to hear that someone else has an interest in this kind of hacking. I'm doing some work with IPAQs and Linux at STEIM next March, trying to build an algorithmic field recording device. But the whole package gets pretty bulky: IPAQ, extra battery/CF card jacket, external 2496 preamp/AD converter, plus a Bluetooth GPS for tagging sounds with location information. You can read about it here:

http://www.umatic.nl/projects_pandev.html

In the end, I'm not sure I'd recommend an IPAQ as a rugged field solution. The interface is a bit too wierd, with the stylus and all, and battery life is a serious issue. For the kind of cash it takes buy an IPAQ and trick it out with CF soundcard and external preamp/AD unit, you could almost certainly buy a dedicated HD recorder. But you wouldn't be able to program the HD recorder to do fancy tricks, and that's where it gets wild!

So I'd be *very* interested to know if Ipod + Linux could be used for something similar. I'll also be checking out lunchbox-sized computers running on mini-ITX motherboards for a more cost-efficient way of handling the idea, but almost everybody and their dog [within a certain socioeconomic bracket, anyway] seem to have an Ipod.

My whole point is that, once you have access to OS running all these portable devices, you have a small, portable computer that is probably faster than your average desktop of five years ago! Good for much more than playing MP3s or storing phone numbers. Keep me up to date on it.

best,
Derek

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl