Re: [microsound] [ot] minidisc recorders

Am 21.01.2005 18:20 Uhr schrieb "precursor" unter <precursor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> on 1/20/05 7:08 AM, Sascha Bondzio at iokmo@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Am 20.01.2005 15:02 Uhr schrieb "tionlee@xxxxxxx" unter <tionlee@xxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> can anyone kindly suggest a minidisc player/recorder w/ a microphonejack.
>>> thats good for making field recordings and is under 300 dollars.
>>> -t
>>

>> Hi t,
>>
>> I can not recommend Minidisc-Recorder.
>> I have bought recently an Archos Gmini 120. It has a WAV-recordingfunction,
>> produces however unfortunately small interferences. Show you that... Thats
>> to be recommended...
>>
>> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html
>>

>> Greatings
>> Sascha

> wow this is cool, forget md's then...what do you mean by it produces small
> interference's ???

Hi!

If you´re recording silent fields e.g. ticks of a clock, whispering, marimba
or so, you hear afterwards on your recording on the right channel a
periodical noise. It is always then, if the Buffer is full and the data are
written on the disk. That´s a great pity, since the quality is very good
otherwise. I have connected an OKM II with an A3-Adaptor (www.soundman.de).
Now the Gmini operates as a Backup-HD for recorded CF´s from the R1.
The problem of MD is the ATRAC coding. Take good Headphones or Monitors -
you will hear - and feel... - it. I think, MP3 at 192 and higher and/or VBR
sounds much better. But if you´re interesting in very good results, you will
take an DAT or the R1.

Bye
Sascha