Re: [microsound] Adorno redux

> One last thing:  I didn't know that calling people (or statements
> made by people, whatever) 'unbelievably dumb' recently became acceptable
> discourse on this list.  I guessed I missed that memo.

>>Try to read a bit more subtly, Matt.  I talked about what "would" be
dumb readings of Adorno.  If that offends, just think of how offensive
the readings are to people like Kim, Peter, and me.  Prideful displays
of ignorance--followed by the inevitable resentment when called on it.
 Here's what I wrote, as a reminder:  "Adorno was far too subtle to
simply look for a justification for his own tastes.  that would be an
unbelievably dumb reading of Adorno."

To imply that someone would be offended by a 'misreading' is just utterly preposterous.  I said from the outset that Adorno was simply justifying his own tastes.  It seemed to me that, regardless of the larger social agenda he had, he was simply speaking a lot of nonsense about the music while not dealing with the music at all.  If someone is offended by my actually saying that, well, then, they can get over it!

I'll ignore alll the other garbage except to say that for you to complain about 'misreadings and facile reductions' is hilarious.

At any rate, this is ridiculous, so I'm personally through with this thread.

-matt

www.mattmitchell.us
Listen to free music, read the blog, sign the guestbook!