Re: [microsound] japanese music magazines?

does anyone know of any good japanese music magazines that feature electronic artists?

I think the audience for the subject gravitated online.

As for print magazines my take is there are more sorts of art/design/style magazines that sort of touch the subject as a theme or something happening to cover.
The other trend is a lot of these publications are very infrequent... the good example is the already mentioned is the bilingual ex-pat magazine OKFred. They'll do different theme issues and cover foreigners who are into Japanese pop culture.

I don't know magazine history but I suspect Studio Voice was a cornerstone for that magazine genre. They focus on different theme issues with music as potential but not constant subject matter. Overall they would fall into the style magazine genre.

Barfout is a well known music as style magazine

Of more on-topic interest  is the record buff oriented Marquee.

I used to see Ele-king magazine filled with a lot of electronic music, but I've not seen one in a long time so I suspect it's no longer published. Remix Magazine (Japan) seems to just do standard club stuff.

Studio and Recording Magazine seems to have long been the best music technology mag. A number of music technology magazines are out there. (Keyboard Japan for instance)

That brings up something vaguely interesting. I'd think the DTM genre -Desktop Music - is sort of the antithesis of Microsound (or is it merely a hobby rather than a genre? though I'm sure to some that would be a put down). It's people using softsynths and MIDI modules to do tight programmed arrangements of commercial music. The obvious commercial outlet was game music and still is ringtone programming.

While on the Japanese magazine subject, I'm always happy to hear about online sites that go deeper than reprinting press material and ad hoc reviews.

nicholas d. kent

http://www.technopop.info/