Re: [microsound] books about synthesis

Computer Music by Dodge and Jerse is a good standard
and starting point.  Regarding the history aspect of
your question, I have a few more specific
recommendations:

Historical CD of Computer Synthesis, WERGO, WE152-3.
Contains several of the first computer synthesized
pieces (and psychoacoustic experiments) realized at
Bell Telephone Laboratories.  Also contains an
excellent booklet with explanations and Risset's
introductory catalog of sounds.

James Tenney, Selected Works 1961-69, New World
Records. Good liner notes in booklet insert describing
several of the works contained in the CD, many of
which were also realized at bell.

Electro-Acoustic Music, Barry Schrader (No longer in
print, contains overview of several techniques and
interviews with several composers.)

First issue of Die Reihe, covering electronic music in
the WDR studio, edited by Stockhausen and Eimert,
includes Stockhausen's article on Study No. 2. An
English edition of all 8 volumes was printed by
presser, possibly available to you via an academic
library.

Not sure about your specific interests but these are
good starting points.

Later,

Jason

--- "lorenzo_brutti@xxxxxxxxx"
<lorenzo_brutti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hello dudes,
> i'd like to read some "for dummies" books about
> synthesis: techniques, history
> and so on...
> can you suggest me some titles?
>
> byethanks
> lorenzo
>
> -.-
> np. the mothers of invention.freak out!

> Libero ADSL: 3 mesi gratis e navighi a 1.2 Mega. E
> poi hai l'Adsl senza limiti a meno di 1 euro al
> giorno.
> Abbonati subito senza costi di attivazione su
> http://www.libero.it

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> microsound-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> website: http://www.microsound.org