Re: [microsound] microsound vs. DJ culture

hi Christo,

Thanks for these excellent thoughts.

I guess what I am boiling down to is the persistence of "criticism" or the
"critic." I'd rather entertain the idea of investigating systems of
complexity which counterpoint to studies on affect, relays, forces. There
are different ways of saying this. And that what often irks me are theories
of "aesthetic" "critique" that imply certain ethical and epistemological
universals.

To knock on a couple of things you mention below ..

I don't think it's ever necessary to feel one is "real" to hip-hop. I think
this is missing the point -- too many cultural studies academics wring their
hands without ever stopping to think that perhaps the issue is "critique" in
the first place, or the fact that no one is born to hip-hop, or anything
else: you've just gotta be down with it, i.e., show some interest in
learning more about it .. if there's a territorial "keep-out" attitude to
hip-hop which claims that you've got to be "keepin' it real" to get it, a
little research will also show, within hip-hop, those who disagree with that
kind of exclusivity. So join the party.

I.e., what matters is that one grants one's object of study the latitude
from which to develop a relation with its environment, further, an
articulation of that surrounding (a re-definition feedback loop). You
suggested something quite similar at the end of your first email; we should
simply extend that idea one step further to accept that this very criterion
might be subject to reconstruction and displacement via the process itself.

This makes things more difficult than most people want to -- I think most of
us would much rather take shortcuts. Unfortunately this leaves us with
perhaps well-meaning essays that look ridiculous with the passing of time,
because they don't take the time to reflect on the variable alterations of
that which is under discussion.

The question as to where this leaves one as a "critical listener" perhaps
might lead one to remix whether "critical" is the point of entry of
"listening" .. to rethink the context in which "critical" became the
criterion itself of analysis.

As for Adorno..  I see no reason why the reappropriation of counter-culture
invalidates its affect and effects, nor reduces its force, historical
agency, its struggles, ruptures and archives... to say otherwise would be to
_grant the cultures and structures of reappropriation--what is usually
called "consumer capitalism," i.e. but also the right--its power without
question_. Adorno's analysis often has the uncanny effect of rendering
capital's control much stronger, perhaps, than it is. There is a degree of
negative fatalism at work in an analysis that so strongly dismisses that
which makes us happy. Making weird music wouldn't have magically solved the
issue of reappropriation of counterculture. True, Captain Beefheart hasn't
been resold (yet) as Volkswagon ads, but neither did he start a revolution.
Nor do you hear him all that often these days ..

The cycle of reappropriation perhaps has to be distinctly thought from that
of capitalism and the culture industries. Recycling is the basis of remix
culture, which sees the sharing of art and music as positive rather than
negative. Could Adorno have dug an understanding of property in this
direction? After all, it is more Marx than Marx: property in remix culture,
theoretically at least, is a shared kind of "resource" (although the
reality, as I've recently written elsewhere, is far more along the lines of
wanting to have one's cake and eat it too -- owning a remix, etc. -- there
is much work to be done, I feel, in seeing where this is leading us...).

Adorno should have read more Hunter S. Thompson.

Thanks again Christos -- enough from me for a bit ..

best,

    tobias

tobias c. van Veen -----------++++
http://www.quadrantcrossing.org --