Re: [microsound] Re: microsound Digest 19 Feb 2005 17:10:31 -0000 Issue 1356

i also agree, the point was made that expensive studio gear is fetishized , and i think also that
manufacturers such as digidesign, focusrite and others have tried to set up a monopoly over
'sound quality' and establish this tinted window view of the cosy (deluxe)home studio as some kind of norm, i tend to simplify it a little and see it so as sound is amplitude/phase change over time only, so what
really are you getting for all these amounts of money? the sampling rate is fixed, the bit-rate is fixed. i got GIVEN two atari 1040ste's which sequence midi as well as any current midi sequencer.
home-made gear is great too, i made a spring reverb for £15 recently, and am now much more
reluctant to spend money on any equipment, unless it was a dat recorder AND a hovercraft at the same time or something....for the price of a new hat. im lucky to even have the choice, but why waste money?