Re: [microsound] TATE dicussion cont.

Dear microsounders,

in the hopes we can "elevate" the banter around here beyond one-liners and such:

Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:
it's all high-concept gobledegook speak...

-But does it matter?

I'd like to post the point that the Tate discussion leaves off [right now anyway], as I think that Lina Dzuverovic and Kenneth Goldsmith pose some interesting questions about different models of online collaboration, participation and distribution. Some of this dovetails quite nicely into previous threads here concerning CD vs CDR vs MP3 at the very least....

at http://tinyurl.com/6ub6e, Lina Dzuverovic wrote:

nude media

It is interesting how the collaboration/participation discussion initially shot off into two different directions (online vs offline collaborative models) only to come back to what are essentially different appropriation methods and individual choices of crediting/presentation.

Going back to Doug and John's posts, to me 'nude media' (a great term, Kenneth, btw) is one way of talking about a history of appropriation whether it is offline or online. As John just illustrated - it is a question of choice, not medium.

That MP3 file 'stripped of its external signifiers' is essentially no different then a photocopied page separated from the author/title info. Are we not just replacing a pair of scissors (Gysin) with sound processing software? Perhaps the the main difference is in the speed with which the 'nude media' file makes it's way back into the remixing and sampling pool and how long it stays there for (and if it ever becomes used up/finished)?

And on that note, I thought Kenneth's asked some really interesting questions a few posts back, which we all seem to have skipped and I'd like to return to those:

-How does having a variety of contexts influence the cultural reception of such objects?

-Who or what determines an avant-garde artifact's value, both commercially and intellectually?

-How does this in turn impact the artist's reputation, both commercially and intellectually?

-If artifacts are always in flux, when is an historical work determined to be "finished"?

happy discourse,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl