[microsound] audacity not there

i was using audacity to do some sound design for a
piece. and i have to say, though it supposedly can
handle having limitless tracks going on, this is
really not the case. more then four in one file and
you run into trouble --sometimes commands wouldn't
register, etc, etc. (i am working on osx 867 600+ ram)
While good for making mp3's (better codec then
itunes), it is not really up to the task of solid
editing -- particularly where you need to work with a
large number of different sounds in a sequence, and
don't have the time to struggle with its buggy
slow-downs. but I like the amplification feature
(automatically gains to point before clipping) and the
mp3's it generates are the best.

-afs