To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: [microsound] Unintentional sound

Sounds pretty intentional to me.  Am I missing
something?

andrew
--- Aaron Ximm <ghede@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Earlier this month I wrote:

> A logical conclusion from the premise of
phonography ("unintentional
> sound is worth listening to") is that the goal is
not so much to share
> specific recordings, but to cultivate and
inculcate a particular kind of
> intentional listening (ie attention) both as a
practioner and in the
> "audience."

Kim asked me what I meant by "unintentional sound";
this weekend I
happened to record what I consider to be a perfect
example; I just
put up an excerpt on my site here:

http://www.quietamerican.org/download/dropbox/Harbin/

The sound in question was the continual chaotic (in both a technical and visceral sense) burbling of a swimming pool drain at some developed hotsprings near Calistoga.

The two recordings "Harbin Hotsprings Pool..." are
the drain. It was at
water level and was making variations on this
variously musical and static
burble for the three days we were there. I recorded
it for about an hour
total and was interrupted by security only twice. :)

As labeled, one was recorded with my head-mounted
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/EH
mics, and the other was my first try with a new
Aquarian H2 hydrophone
(not simultaneous recordings sadly).

The generator off to stage left also provides the
resonant hum in the
hydrophone recording I believe. A good argument for
a directional mic!

Btw the other two files in that directory were frogs
recorded a quarter
mile away -- one (as labeled) that I took a 30
second stab at "cleaing up"
to remove the gray noise of a stream a few hundred
feet away and some mic
hiss...

 best,
  aaron