Re: [microsound] Re: Call for Submissions

From: Wakefield <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Fair enough!  Perhaps I read the opening statement 'Somewhere in the
> spectrum between Musique Concrete and Phonography' as 'Somewhere in the
> field beyond Musique Concrete and Phonography'.  I fully understand the
> logic of the passive location recording in phonography, and the benefit
> of avoiding preconceived ideas of music. But I think it may be worth
> unfolding my comment a little.

This conversation ended up drifting onto the phonography yahoogroups list
and I posted my response there.  It all boiled down to semantics of what
is active and what is passive as well as what is non-interfering, etc.  My
explanation was that the call for submissions was being sent out to a
variety of music boards where some people might not understand what
phonography or a field recording is and it was a general guidance for the
naive.  Phonography artists take great time and thought energy to the
process such as microphone placement, movement of the microphone(s), etc.
but I was trying to differentiate this from someone making interesting
sounds for the purpose of the recording or adding composed music to the
recordings.

Thank you for the commentary and critique of my wording.  And sorry to
have misinterpretted your brief post before.

Cheers,
Frederic