[microsound] Re: AI in microsound

> How many of you microsounders are using AI algorithms,
> and what have your experiences been?  Ever used neural
> networks/second- and third-order Markov chains/genetic
> algorithms/generative grammars/other?

Hi David,

The GA has been my almost exclusive tool since 1998.  I use
a custom softsynth which allows me to breed new timbres,
thus freeing me up to act more as "gardener" more
"engineer".  I love it, but I admit that I don't really see
this as an "AI" approach.  A true AI approch would be
automation of the fitness function via training of neural
networks, etc.  When I have more time ;)

As a shameless plug, I utilized the GA approach heavily for
the more abstract tracks on "do" (Fallt, invalidObjects),
and the much more recent "Songs of the Watchmaker"
(Scarcelight).

-Wayne, aka "Later Days"