[microsound] Re: Call for Submissions

From: Wakefield <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I don't understand the necessary logic of point 3.  My preference would
> be to explore the medium exactly in that area.
>
> > #3 One point about the field recording aspect of it is stressing that
> > the person recording is not part of the recording in orchestrating or
> > making the sounds, only a passive observer and documenter (obviously,
> > just being there has an effect albeit hopefully minor).

The point as written follows the traditional phonography definition of
what a field recording is.

The logic behind stipulating this is to avoid the composer's preconceived
ideas of music if there is someone orchestrating or making the noises
intentionally for the recording.  The composer's job is to record the
sounds (passive)  and then transform them into his or her own work
(active).  This process sets it apart from other types of sound art.

The initial concept of this compilation stemmed from a conversation
between the label owner and myself in regards to a compilation I had just
participated in and felt was a good academic learning experience since it
was rather removed from what I had ever done whereas for others, it was
commonplace.

Feel free to accept the challenge as the rules of the compilation describe
it and participate.  Otherwise, there are plenty of good compilations out
there with calls for submissions that fall out of this category and these
rules.

Cheers,
Frederic