[microsound] the space of reception

I think it would be invigorating to engage in the
issues of audience-reception/institutional
'conventions' theoretically and generally, as regards
laptop performance.  In ANY space (rather then simply
going with/frustratingly resigning to what the
traditions/institutional spaces dictate as the norm ->
art/gallery spaces are more comfortable for laptop
performances, and rock/club/bar spaces create
different set of expectations, type of thing).  Been
reading Site-Specific Art.  It's got reasonably good
sections on Morris' site works, and Happenings (i.e.
Kaprow's "Only for Performers"  for instance, and he
doesn't mean all have to be musicians, or anything
like that. he means wherein all became a part of its
very event) -- how breaking down walls of expectations
in audience-performer  brought the situation/event to
an entirely different level of real experience, and
hence re-ignited an experience of art (lower case!).
With laptop performances, I often feel that not enough
thought is given to the space itself. Simply sitting
down in the front of the stage is a a bit naive about
the whole experience/event, at heart.  Not that the
scene has to be baroque or entertaining. Rather that
even things like shifting the space such that the
laptop performer is, for instance, on the floor and
the audience is arranged in a funky all over the place
way, can do things with the performance/event that
make the sound transfigure beyond the usual passive
audience/holy creator set up.  This could go so much
further.

It would be interesting I think to develop a
collaborative performance/project using Skype or other
VOIP technology.   Could then occur over vast
distances, at the same time.

>performance issues,
>perhaps the next .microsound project should be a
performance, something
>that takes place in some particular space (in
physical space
>telematically, in net space, in each of our
houses/apt's, or something
>more vague), and involves some kind of
contribution/collaboration from