Re: [microsound] Laptop, etc as Performance device

In a message dated 3/16/05 6:19:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dev@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This  seems a very narrow definition of a performance. What if the
performance  is explicitly related to the intermediality of audio and
video?
dev

when I wrote my rant,  I was directing it to  the intermediately (the correct
spelling) of audio. If video is  involved I can justify where performance is
needed, an attack on both  sense of hearing and seeing.
your direct assault is benign, this discussion is to characterize the
growing aspect of the limitations a laptop performer faces in front of a  crowd.
Should laptop be given a place in the field of performance art?, I  think so.
what difference are present between  keyboard  performers and  laptop
performer. They both sit hidden behind a  mechanical contraption, they both manipulate
the sound they are developing, be  it programmed or created. If you say
talent, you are much blinded by your  own falsifications.
Laptop performance is boring, I've sat through the drowning's of beeps and
buzzes, but the ingenuity and consumption of ability to manipulate sound to
their own distinct art is the true performance.  Artists with performance  to
their presentation hold a genre of their own.  I could never place Emil
Beaulieau in the same category as a laptop artist.  His performance exhaust  the
creativity of performance art, where laptop artist lack.  rearing back  to the
question should laptop performers risk their art by creating a visual
performance to appease the few bored individuals?  I don't think  so.

enjoy